Can I just talk about how AMAZING today has been. Okay, because I am going to .... (and today isn't even over yet!?)
So I went to the Hospital this morning, even though I knew my the Dr. I was supposed to shadow at "medecine fetale" wouldn't be there, and I was just kind of sitting around waiting for everyone to get up from our morning gathering table and leave for their "stages"... And then Vera asked if I just wanted to come with her to visceral surgery since she was the only one down there. ... and after a minute I agreed.. It couldn't hurt, right!???

And so I went. We scrubbed in and I was just in awe of being in the operating room area in general. Its like a whole different world.
Picture this: it is just me, Vera, and Alejandro. The Surgeon come in and says to us (in very loud and funny English) "WHO WANTS TO HELP ME TODAY??" ...and Vera immediately raises her hand haha! And so it began... we all got to assist with our own individual surgery. AMAZING!!!! I mean I was freaked out at first- which is why I did not raise my hand right away- but after seeing one, I knew I had to help! Vera got to help stitch up a circumsicion. Alejandro got to stitch up some kind of mini-invasive surgery (so cool to see everything on the camera- like the inside of the body did not even seem real!!!!)
AND then after a 10 minute hand washing lesson from the intern (haha- good time)... I got to assist on a surgery to descend a testicle of a 7ish year old boy. So cool. I got to hold open the skin with the tools while the surgeon worked..and then he let me tie lots of the stiches knots- and he said I was very "gifted" and had great "dexterity"!! Hmmm... never thought of being a surgeon- but maybe now??? Geez, it was just so eye opening- and I just loved every minute of it (...even if I was like a big rubbery jello nervous mess afterwards haha...).
Best day at the hospital yet- I am so glad I got to have that experience! So worth everything!!
Then after we headed to the beach and me and Vera laid out for a while.. and then Sarg, Lorraine, Audrey, and Callie came and we just hung out et the beach. Then got delicious ice cream. THEN delicious happy hour at a bar to watch some of the first world cup game! And that is actaully where I am off to know. Vive la France!!
Night night...
Liv
No comments:
Post a Comment